Multiple Subject and Education Specialist-Mild/Moderate Disabilities Credentials: Frequently Asked Questions

What type of graduate degree can I earn in the Education program at Antioch?
You can earn a Master of Arts degree in Education with a specialization in Social Justice and Educational Leadership.

What type of teaching credential can I earn in the Education program at Antioch?
You can earn a California Multiple-Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential, which authorizes you to teach in a self-contained classroom in California, typically at the elementary level. You can also earn an Education Specialist Credential to work with students with Mild/Moderate disabilities. Some students may be able to earn both credentials at the same time.

How can I earn a credential and Master’s degree at the same time?
Antioch made a decision to develop its teacher credentialing courses at the graduate level. After all, teaching is a serious professional endeavor; the preparation offered should be equivalent to graduate level study in other fields. You will begin earning units toward your MA degree with your first class. Once you complete the requirements for the Preliminary Credential, you continue in the program for four additional half-time quarters to complete your MA. If you already have a basic teaching credential, you can earn the education specialist credential and the MA degree in a little over a year.

Are there special requirements I have to meet before being admitted?
Basic Skills Requirement
As described in the Admissions Application, you must take and pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). This test is required of all students in teacher preparation programs in California. The CBEST is offered a limited number of times each year. Please be sure to review the registration deadlines and test dates as soon as possible. You can get more information about the CBEST by accessing its web site at www.cbest.nesinc.com.

Subject Matter Requirement
In addition, you must have registered for or taken the CSET prior to enrolling in the program-however, passage of the CSET is not an admissions requirement. Passage of the CSET, including the writing subtest, will meet the basic skills requirement in lieu of the CBEST.

If you already have a CA basic teaching credential, you likely have already passed these exams.

Can I observe a current class?
Yes! One of the best ways to evaluate if any program is the right one for you is to sit in on a class. Please call to find out the current course offerings and let us know if you are interested in visiting a class.

If I am currently teaching, will I be able to continue teaching in my own class while enrolled in the program?
This is decided on an individual basis, depending on the credential you are earning and your classroom situation. Special education teachers, in particular, are eligible to use their own classrooms for some of their student teaching requirement and can enroll in our intern credential program.

What if I work full time, but not as a teacher?
Graduate school is challenging and requires a significant time commitment. It is up to you to evaluate your circumstances to determine whether you can handle both full-time employment and full-time graduate study.

Our courses are held in the evenings and on some weekends. All students, however, must be available during the school day to meet student teaching and other field work requirements throughout the program.

Can I transfer in course work I have taken from another teacher education program?
Technically, Antioch can accept in transfer up to nine quarter units of coursework. The content of transferable coursework, however, must be at the graduate level, must be very similar (if not identical) to that which we offer in our program, and must meet CTC State standards. The Program Chair makes decisions about the transferability of coursework.

Can I waive the pre-requisite courses if I have already taken them?
Yes. If you have taken a comparable course within the last five years at a regionally accredited college or university, you do not need to take the course again at Antioch.

What types of support does Antioch offer?
A hallmark of an Antioch University education is the close, personal attention students receive from faculty and staff. In the Education program, you will work closely with your faculty mentors, credentials counselor and instructors, and receive regular and close supervision of your practice. In addition, Antioch continues to provide support for its teachers long after graduation.

How much will it cost for me to go to Antioch?
At most private universities, the cost of tuition is often the biggest concern for prospective students. We believe, however, that an Antioch education can be affordable. Our Financial Aid Office can help you apply for grants, college work-study programs, and loans. You can also charge your tuition, or arrange to pay on a payment plan. There are also special grant and loan assumption programs available to students preparing to teach.

Finally, are there some other things you would like to share with me about the advantages of being an Antioch MAE/TC student?

• You will be guaranteed a space in all the classes you need.
• We offer small classes with passionate faculty who are eager to engage you in discussion of educational theories and teaching methods.
• You will take classes with the same students each quarter, thus developing a thriving support system of colleagues with whom you can study and collaborate.
• You’ll have the opportunity to develop close, genuine, supportive relationships with program faculty and staff.
• Antioch is an informal, relaxed environment where you can get to know all university staff on a first-name basis.
• You will be part of a diverse community of enthusiastic learners; a common thread that weaves across all University programs.
• You will work closely with our Student Teaching Coordinator to identify a Cooperating Teacher who best meets your needs and interests when you begin Student Teaching.
• You will receive assistance in resume development, interview skills and protocol, district application procedures, and will be kept up to date of local job fairs and other job-seeking strategies and opportunities. Our students are sought after by schools throughout the tri-counties.

When can I start?
The credential programs are designed as a “cohort” educational experience. The cohort (12-25 students) model provides a supportive environment whereby students begin their studies as a group and take the same classes. The multiple subject program begins only once per year, every summer. The education specialist program begins in fall for students who already have a basic teaching credential.

Mandatory Program Orientation Week: Four days in mid-June from 4:30- 7:30pm

Summer Quarter begins: Beginning of July

Please note, deadlines vary for federal and state aid programs. Please read financial aid materials carefully.