Financial Aid FAQs

Financial Aid FAQs

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. The FAFSA covers July 1st of one year through June 30th of the next. After your first year, you will use the FAFSA Renewal Application which contains pre-populated information from the previous year’s FAFSA. You will then be asked to supply current financial information

How can I find out about my credit history?

Since approval of some non-need-based education loans is based on your credit history, you may want to order a credit report in advance to see if everything is accurate. You are allowed to receive one free credit report each year from each of the three main agencies (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) at Check the report closely and resolve any erroneous information prior to applying for education loans. We recommend that you order a new report every four months to ensure that no fraudulent activities have occurred on any of your accounts. For example: in January, order your first report from Equifax; in May, order the second from Experian; the third from TransUnion in September; repeat. In order to receive your credit score, you will have to pay about $15. Each of the agencies uses a slightly different formula to arrive at your credit score, but they are usually only off by a few points from each other. If you pay for a credit score from only one agency, the others should be close and you won’t need to pay for all three.

How do I know what I have been awarded?

Once your file is complete, we will package your awards and create an award letter. If you are a first-time AUSB student, your first award letter will be mailed to you. After that, you can log in to your myAntioch account and access your award letter. You will receive notification to your Antioch University email account when your new (or revised) award letter is ready to download. If you have any questions regarding your award, we will be happy to answer them

How do I obtain a tax return transcript?

Your FAFSA may be selected for “verification” and we may need for you to submit a tax return transcript. A tax return transcript can be obtained in three ways:

  1. Apply online at
  2. Call (800) 908-9946
  3. Mail or fax Form 4506T-EZ, which can be found at the IRS website

How do I repay my loans if my situation changes unexpectedly?

A change in career goals, the loss of a job, or other unexpected changes in your situation could make repaying your loans more difficult than you expected. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you could qualify for a deferment or forbearance:

    • Enrolled at least half-time at a postsecondary school
    • Unable to find full-time employment
    • Experiencing economic hardship
    • On active military duty

Contact your loan servicer to discuss your options. You can retrieve your loan information at This is a federal website and you can login using your FSA ID.

How much should I borrow each year so that I can afford to pay it back?

Planning ahead is essential to managing debt. If you plan to borrow each year you are in school, estimate the total amount you will borrow. Then use a sample loan repayment calculator (like the one found here) to determine how much you will have to pay each month. Keeping your debt load to a minimum will make it more likely that you will have success in repayment. For tools to assess possible wages for certain jobs, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics Resources for Students and Teachers page.

I completed my FAFSA. Is my file now complete?

Not quite. We may still need additional documentation from you. If so, the Financial Aid Office will send an email to your Antioch University email address requesting the necessary documents. This is why it is so important for you to keep checking your Antioch University email account (if you are a new student without an Antioch email address, we will use your own email address until you are enrolled). Please respond to any requests right away to avoid any delays in the processing of your financial aid.

I probably don’t qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes! Many students mistakenly think they don’t qualify for financial aid and prevent themselves from receiving any by simply failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid (i.e., Federal Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans and Federal PLUS loans) that are available regardless of financial need. It’s free to apply for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Go to You will need an FSA ID which you can apply for at

I received an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the Financial Aid Office?

Yes. You must report the scholarship to the Financial Aid Office.

If I take a leave of absence (LOA), do I have to start repaying my loans

Not necessarily. Federal Direct Stafford loans have a grace period of six months from your last date of attendance before the student must begin repaying the loan. (The Federal Perkins loan has a grace period of nine months.) When you take a leave of absence, you will not have to repay your loan until the entire grace period is used up. If you use up the grace period, however, you will have to begin repaying your loan immediately when you graduate, withdraw, or fall below half-time enrollment. For students in quarterly programs, it would take two consecutive terms (three months each term) to use up the grace period. For semester programs, one term (six months per term) on LOA will use up the grace period.

What are some of the mistakes people make when applying for financial aid?

Four of the most common mistakes are:

    • Not applying early enough
    • Not reading the instructions
    • Not fully completing the applications
    • Not using the correct Social Security number

What are Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans?

The interest on the Subsidized loan is paid by the government while you are in school. The interest on the Unsubsidized loan is not paid by the government while you are in school, and you have the option of paying the interest during enrollment or having it deferred until after you graduate, at which time it will be added to the principal of the loan in a process called capitalization. Keep in mind that as of July 1st, 2012, only undergraduate students will be eligible for Subsidized loans.

What happens after I submit my Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Once you have submitted your FAFSA, you should receive an email confirmation. This is verification that you submitted your FAFSA and that it is being processed. AUSB will receive it within 3-5 business days if you have us listed as one of the schools in Section H. Questions about FAFSA processing can be directed to the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243.

Where can I get more information about federal student financial aid?

The best places to look online are and You can also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243. This toll-free hotline is run by the U.S. Department of Education and can answer questions about federal student aid programs and applications.

Why does my financial aid award change each year?

There are a number of factors that can impact your financial aid from year to year. Your awards may change significantly if any of the following has occurred:

  • Your (or your family’s) financial circumstances change from one year to the next
  • You have a different number of family members in your household or in college
  • The total cost of attendance for the year has increased

Can I enroll in courses at another institution while attending Antioch University Santa Barbara and still receive financial aid?

In the Bachelor of Arts program, students may be dually enrolled at Antioch University Santa Barbara and another approved institution.  Students wishing to be dually enrolled must submit a completed Concurrent Enrollment Agreement Form to the Registrar’s Office.  Please note that (1) BA students must be registered for a minimum of 6.0 units at AUSB to be eligible for concurrent enrollment and (2) students may receive financial aid from one institution only during a given term.