Launching in January 2014, AUSB’s Women & Leadership Certificate Program will combine the study of leadership and gender within Antioch University’s unique educational model that combines applied and experiential learning, including:
- The history, research, principles, and practice of values-based leadership
- A moderated discussion of the role of family and gender in the context of female leadership
- The design and execution of an individual leadership project in your field of interest
- Training in communication and problem-solving skills
- Individual assessments that support a unique leadership training program
- Exceptional mentorship and networking opportunities
The Women & Leadership Certificate Program will empower tomorrow’s leaders today by providing opportunities to develop the knowledge and personal skills that support future success for female leaders. In addition, the program is designed to enable the development of a significant network of like-minded individuals committed to enhancing opportunities for women to succeed in important and meaningful leadership roles within political/public sector, business, and non-proﬁt venues.
- Study the principles & practice of values-based leadership
- Enhance your success in business, public/political, & non-profit venues
- Build a network of mentors and peer leaders in other institutional and community contexts
- Low-residency/virtual program beginning January 2014
A complete application for the Women & Leadership program includes:
- An online application
- Application fee payment of $60.00 (or fee waiver)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resumé
- Admission essay
Applications are currently being accepted– Apply Now!
Program Dates & Format
This program takes place over 10 months, anchored by three 2½ day residencies at our beautiful Santa Barbara campus. The residency dates for 2014 are: January 10-12; May 9-11; and October 11-13. In between the three residency sessions, students will take advantage of AUSB’s virtual online classroom that links students and faculty for ongoing study, enabling students to fit this important educational and experiential opportunity into their busy lives.
Residency One: January 10-12, 2014. This residency will introduce the Women & Leadership Certificate Program and our areas of study: gender issues in leadership, and the development of values-based leadership skills. Individual assessments will be given to each student. You will meet your fellow students, faculty, and our community-based mentors. Guest speakers and panelists will engage you in thought-provoking discussions about women and leadership. Students will be trained in the use of our online classroom.
Residency Two: May 9-11, 2014. Designed as a series of workshops that teach values-based leadership skills, with a focus on the individual communication skills essential for today’s leaders, this residency will address the results of the student’s personal assessments and the feedback they have received from Program peers, mentors and faculty. Experts in the field of leadership communication skills will teach small-group and individualized workshops; we will also have guest speakers and panelists during the residency.
Residency Three: October 11-13, 2014. Each student will present their leadership project during this final residency, and develop an individualized five-year leadership plan. Guest speakers and panelists will continue the discussion of Program topics. and celebrate the completion of our first Program.
At the outset of our Program, each student will take a series of individual assessments to help them identify unique strengths and challenges as a leader. The history and status of women as leaders in individual fields of interest, with particular focus on the issues that support or hinder that achievement will be studied. Important issues related to economic and social justice; the interrelationship of business, public/political, and non-profit venues; work-life balance, self-care, and mentoring/networking will be closely examined. Values-based leadership and communication skills will be discussed and taught. Students will create and present individual leadership projects in collaboration with faculty, mentors, and peers; and complete a plan to fulfill their individual future leadership goals.
- The Influence of Gender on Leadership: Case Studies of Female Leaders, Past & Present
- The Practice of Values-Based Leadership: Progressive and Effective Leadership Training
- Experiential Leadership Project
Tuition & Fees
Tuition for the entire program is $9,000. Scholarship funding is available.
Judy Bruton, JD, MSW, Director of the Women & Leadership Program and Special Assistant to the President, is available to answer any questions you may have about the Women & Leadership Certificate Program. Send your question to Judy.