Creative thinking is both the capacity to combine or synthesize existing ideas, images, or expertise in original ways and the experience of thinking, reacting, and working in an imaginative way characterized by a high degree of innovation, divergent thinking, and risk taking. Core competencies include: acquiring domain-specific skills, taking risks, solving problems, embracing contradictions, and innovative thinking.
Advanced-level indicators are:
- Evaluates creative process and product using domain-appropriate criteria.
- Actively seeks out and follows through on untested and potentially risky directions or approaches to the assignment in the final product.
- Not only develops a logical, consistent plan to solve problem, but recognizes consequences of solution and can articulate reason for choosing solution.
- Integrates alternate, divergent, or contradictory perspectives or ideas fully.
- Extends a novel or unique idea, question, format, or product to create new knowledge or knowledge that crosses boundaries. Transforms ideas or solutions into entirely new forms.