Holistic Personal Development is the multifaceted process of becoming self-actualized. Holistic Development involves all aspects of the self including the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual and includes taking personal responsibility for one’s own learning and development through a process of assessment, reflection, and action. Adult learning and personal holistic development are interrelated experiences as learning promotes development, while development encourages further learning. Core competencies include: self-awareness, integrity, reflection, personal accountability, and ethical analysis and behavior.
Advanced-level indicators include:
- Analyzes both core beliefs and the origins of the core beliefs leading to greater depth and clarity. Consistently explores physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of self.
- Consistently demonstrates alignment between personal values, words and actions. Always acts with integrity.
- Envisions and articulates a future self, building on past experiences that have occurred across multiple and diverse contexts.
- Designs and implements a plan to move into that vision.
- Consistently takes responsibility for personal actions and own response to experiences. Rather than blame others, consistently seeks to understand own contribution to aid further growth.
- Student can recognize ethical issues when presented in a complex, multilayered (gray) context and can recognize cross-relationships among the issues. Consistently engages in ethical behavior.