Global and Intercultural Awareness is a collection of skills that promote effective interaction in a variety of cultural contexts. Global awareness is an understanding of the interconnections between nations, socio-cultural groups, individuals, and the elements that influence them. Intercultural awareness is knowledge of and sensitivity to diversity in all its forms, including the variety of factors that shape culture including worldview, communication, cultural rules, and personal biases. Core competencies include: global awareness, cultural worldviews, diversity, communication, and cultural openness.
Advanced-level indicators are:
- Demonstrates sophisticated understanding of the interconnections between nations, socio-cultural groups, individuals, and the elements that influence them (influential elements include economy, political decision-making, ideology, environment, and technology).
- Demonstrates sophisticated understanding of the complexity of elements important to members of another culture (elements important to another culture include its history, values, politics, economy, communication styles, beliefs, traditions, and practices).
- Demonstrates evidence of adjustment in own attitudes and beliefs because of working within and learning from diversity of communities and cultures. Promotes others’ engagement with diversity (the recognition of differences and commonalities among people including: nationality, race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, culture, cognitive ability, life experiences, and sexual orientation).
- Articulates a complex understanding of cultural differences in verbal and nonverbal communication and is able to skillfully negotiate a shared understanding based on those differences (e.g., degree to which people use physical contact while communicating in different cultures or use direct/indirect and explicit/implicit meanings).
- Articulates insights into own cultural rules and personal biases. Initiates and develops interactions with culturally different others. Suspends judgment in valuing interactions with culturally different others.